This policy describes the way that Leigh Adams Business & Commercial Lawyers collects, holds and discloses information about individuals. We may vary this policy from time-to-time.
Protecting confidential information is fundamental to our relationship with our clients and to our business. All information received in respect of a client matter is subject to strict duties of confidentiality. We will not disclose such information except in accordance with instructions.
What kinds of information do we hold?
During the course of carrying on our business, we will have occasion to collect personal information. We usually collect the following kinds of personal information:
- name, address, occupation and contact information,
- interests in areas of legal practice or events, and
- information about your dealings with us or your clients.
If you do not give us any of the personal information which we ask you for, it may affect our ability to meet our obligations to you, your employer or your clients.
Use and disclosure of your personal information
We use your personal information for the purposes for which it was collected (which will normally be obvious when we collect it), including to:
- provide our services to you or your clients, to manage and account for the services, and to improve the services,
- manage our relationships with our clients,
- provide you with information about legal developments, events or other products or services that may be of interest to you or your clients, and
- facilitate our internal business operations, including fulfilment by us of any legal requirements.
We may disclose personal information for the purposes for which it was collected, and also:
- subject to our obligations to any person where necessary or desirable in connection with our provision of legal services, such as to the client, regulatory authorities, or other parties or advisors (whether in Australia or overseas),
- within Leigh Adams Lawyers,
- on a confidential basis to external service providers so that they can provide financial, administrative or other services in connection with the operation of our business, for example photocopy and archive services providers and financial institutions,
- where the law requires us to do so, or
- where you consent for us to do so.
We take reasonable steps to protect all information which we hold (including your personal information) from misuse, loss, unauthorised access, modification or disclosure.
We take reasonable steps to hold information secure in an electronic or physical form. Information is stored in access controlled premises or in electronic databases requiring logins and passwords. All staff having access to confidential information are subject to confidentiality obligations.
Access and correction
You can request access at any time to personal information we hold about you. We may charge you a fee where access in provided. We may refuse to provide access to information held about you in any case where the Privacy Act 1988 (as amended) allows us to do so.